"LO MONACO / IOZZINO" WATERMILL
At the end of 1600 the Monastery of San Nicola dei Miri commissioned the construction of a mill along the Vernotico stream (today "Valle dei Mulini"), which was subsequently called "molino delle monache" from here "Molino Lo Monaco". 3 July 1703 the "Lo Monaco" mill is leased and then sold to the entrepreneur Giambattista Di Nola, future father-in-law of Marcantonio Iozzino
2 September 1797 the mill is inherited by Serafina Di Nola and her husband Marcantonio Iozzino who, together with their four sons Ferdinando, Luigi, Carlo and Antonio, started the pasta production business. April 7, 1840 Tommaso Iozzino, son of Ferdinando Iozzino, buys back the shares of the "Lo Monaco" mill previously sold by his uncles for 400 ducats, becoming its owner together with his father Ferdinando and uncle Carlo.
1 July 1851 Tommaso Iozzino inherits the shares of the "Lo Monaco" mill from his father Ferdinando and his uncle Carlo, becoming the sole owner, then sells it for 5900 ducats, but continues to produce pasta in Via San Marco together with his son Ferdinando. July 18, 1907 Tommaso Iozzino starts an entrepreneurial activity in the dried fruit sector in Piazza Paride Del Pozzo, an activity then continued by his nephew Tommaso Zenone Iozzino, son of his brother Emilio.
Il pastificio "La Gragnanese"
About 1920. Ferdinando Iozzino sets up a company with two other entrepreneurs from Gragnano by moving the historic pasta factory from Via San Marco to Via Santa Caterina, the company is called "Pastificio La Gragnanese" and will remain in business for about ten years. 7 June 2018 the brothers Tommaso and Domenico Iozzino, entrepreneurs in the dried fruit sector for four generations, resume the production of artisan dried pasta started about two centuries earlier by their family. "The house specialties were: Mezzani, Vermicelli, Zita, Occhi di Elefante, Maccaroncelli, Lingue di Passero, Fusilli, etc. The company shipped to Italy and all over the world.In the entrance hall of the pasta factory there was a colored drawing of a flag with a dove. Every Saturday in front of the pasta factory there was a vestal who fed the flame under a boiler where spaghetti was boiled. A maccaronaro, as soon as they were cooked, offered those steaming macaroni with a handful of local cheese on top to the stranger crowd who came to Gragnano to buy pasta ".